Sunday, April 26, 2020

al mulk read with translation and you


You're like a star. The one I could never reach.

You're like a flower. The one where I could never get to own for you will wilt and turn it into dust if I do so.

You're like the air that I breathe. I'm truly enjoying you, but you won't even see me here breathing because of you, but I thank my god for this. For sending me air where my lungs were really suffocating for air.

You're like the one I never had. Never knew I needed someone like you to cross pathways with mine. Shows me how life could ever be.

I'm really sorry that I'm never good with words. but i found a poem which describe my feelings for you perfectly.

Maybe this poem would do. It was from the beautiful film, The Shape Of Water (2017):



Here are the translation and the original poem:

چون نگنجد شکل تو در عقل من Unable to perceive the shape of You

بینمت در هر مکان و منزلی I find You all around me

زین حضورت، عشق شسته چشم من Your presence fills my eyes with Your love

دل‌زلالم، چون به هر جا حاضری It humbles my heart, For You are everywhere


As for the maker, i stumbled upon this piece too while i was seeking for the maker. It's quite lengthy but bear with me, it is very interesting to read their frantic and fun journey searching for the source of the poem:

https://blogs.loc.gov/catbird/2018/03/who-wrote-the-poem-at-the-end-of-the-shape-of-water/

" Given the information Kathy and I have amassed, what conclusions can we offer about the poem’s origin?
The most likely scenario is that the poem in The Shape of Water is an adaptation of a poem del Toro read in a book of Islamic poetry he found at a bookstore. Del Toro may have had the book in hand when adapting the poem, or may instead have relied on his memory of the poem’s text. The poem he adapted was likely written by an Islamic lyric poet, perhaps in Arabic or Persian. While the poem could have been written by any of a number of Islamic poets operating in the lyric or mystic tradition given the poem’s common theme, Rumi has quickly become the leading candidate. This may in part be due to Rumi functioning as what quotation expert Garson O’Toole calls a “Host,” a well-known figure such as Mark Twain or Yogi Berra who frequently receives credit for a statement he never made, but which sounds like something he could have written or uttered.
Another possibility is that del Toro is the sole, original author of the poem. In this scenario, he invented the story about discovering the poem in a book at a bookstore, perhaps as way to add a layer of mystery, or mysteriousness, about the poem’s source. This would explain his reticence to give a detailed source for the poem, assuming he actually purchased the book in which it appears, as he has claimed (“It moved me very much, and I bought the book”).
Of course, the question about the poem’s authorship could be answered by del Toro. Did he, in fact, purchase the book of Islamic poetry in which he says he found the poem? If so, he can provide the publication details for the book, and even the page on which the poem appears. I tried informally contacting del Toro through Twitter, but received no response. Perhaps some of the readers of this post are interested enough in the mystery of the poem’s authorship to contact him through other means.
If you uncover any further clues or leads about the poem’s origins, feel free to share below!
Update: Several commenters attribute the poem to the 11th and 12th century Sufi mystical poet Hakim Sanai (pseudonym of Abū al-Majd Majdūd ibn Ādam). Sanai, who resided in Ghazna (modern day Ghazni), Afghanistan, is best known for The Enclosed Garden of the Truth (Ḥadīqat al-ḥaqīqah), which is considered the first major Persian mystical poem. The Enclosed Garden of Truth was first translated into English by J. Stephenson in 1910, and is available online through the HathiTrust Digital Library. In particular, a translation of a section by Priya Hemenway on page 38 of The Book of Everything: Journey of the Heart’s Desire : Hakim Sanai’s Walled Garden of Truth (2002) is a fairly close match, in both content and style, to the poem in The Shape of Water. While Hemenway’s translation may indeed have been the poem that inspired Guillermo del Toro, since it embodies themes presents in much other Sufi mystical poetry, definitive attribution must come from del Toro himself.
Update 2: Commenter Julie points out that a translation by Priya Hemenway on page 41 of The Book of Everything (first line: “Unable to discern the form of You, / I see your Your presence all around.”) is actually much closer in wording to the text of the poem at the end of the movie. I agree, and believe the wording is near enough that it’s quite likely Hemenway’s translation is the one adapted for the movie by del Toro. Thanks, Julie!
Update 3: In response to several readers who commented that a reference to Hakim Sanai appears in the end credits of the movie, I reviewed the end credits again and discovered, near their finish, the following reference:

“Adapted works by Hakim Sanai.” Attribution appearing in the end credits of The Shape of Water.

Bingo! This attribution, which doesn’t name the specific “adapted works” to which it refers, surely must be in reference to poem at the movie’s end."

Naaaaah. At this point I'm starting to think that you were right. Maybe I am in love with the idea of you. That is the only logical explanation for such tremendous and vast feelings I'm having for you. I guess that works for now. After all, I don't ever have the intention of letting you know about all of these junk. lol. 

No comments: